Tuesday, September 19, 2023

Mental Health Writings: I criticized Indiana NAMI. Indiana NAMI “Read” My Complaint—and Banned Me!

 

I’ve been a dues-paying member of Indiana NAMI since December 2019, which also makes me a member of Indianapolis and national NAMI.  I had planned on attending Indiana NAMI’s Leadership Summit on June 17, 2023, its first live meeting since Covid.  However, I was unable to get the day off work.  So I e-mailed Barb Thompson, Indiana NAMI’s Executive Director, on June 6 informing her I would not be at the meeting, and thus would not be able to “confront” her (my word; I meant verbally, of course) for ignoring all my earlier e-mails to her raising issues about the Circle City and other Clubhouses (a most inadequate “mental health recovery resource” I’d participated in), as well as Indiana and Indianapolis NAMI, numerous e-mails to Ms. Thompson she never had the courtesy and respect for me ever to respond.  For which I properly felt miffed.  Well, this time Ms. Thompson “responded,” sort of.  She took my June 6 e-mail as “harassment,” reported it to Indiana NAMI’s Board of Directors, which acted on her complaint that very day, and, sure enough, later that day I received a copy of a letter written to me by the Indiana NAMI Board of Directors, dated that very June 6, informing me that henceforth I was “barred from attending any forthcoming NAMI Indiana in-person or virtual events, [Emphasis added—GF] specifically including the leadership conference.  If you trespass, appropriate steps will be taken, no matter how much NAMI Indiana would regret the need.  Additionally, you are barred from contacting NAMI board of directors, staff, or members and from appearing at NAMI Indiana’s offices.”  However, I was not removed from being a member of Indiana NAMI or any other NAMI body!  I simply could not attend or participate in any “forthcoming NAMI…events” indefinitely, nor could I contact NAMI in any way.  A perfect Catch-22 statement from Indiana NAMI’s Board of Directors!

 

Further, the Board accused me of stating “publicly” (I did so only by an e-mail to Ms. Thompson, not through any other forum.  I didn’t even tell personal friends of it) that while I would “confront” (the Board of Directors did get that right) Ms. Thompson, I would do so, I allegedly stated (which I didn’t) I would do so for “her behavior” (which is false; I did not use those words, which in the Board’s letter to me were put in quotation marks as though I’d stated them verbatim), when I was only going to confront Ms. Thompson on refusing to honor me by responding to at least one of my several e-mails to her!  Anyway, I had e-mailed Ms. Thompson on June 6 precisely to inform her I would not be attending the June 17 Leadership Summit, as I’d earlier planned, because I—was scheduled to work instead!  All of which was clearly stated in plain English! 

 

As to the original e-mails sent Ms. Thompson, which uttered specific complaints against the Clubhouse system (of which I was a member, by the way, though a deliberately inactive one) and the speech given on the Clubhouse system by one of its leaders back in 2019 (a speech I said at the time, in a private online chat, I though was nothing but empty public-relations fluff), for which I was barred by Ms. Thompson at that 2019 virtual meeting, and my $40 registration fee confiscated, I registered my obvious dissatisfaction, for which I had every right.  Indiana NAMI’s Board of Directors didn’t see it that way, however, as the Board wrote me on June 6, “The various individuals you contacted heard your complaints and responded to you their disagreement; they consider the matters closed.”  While Ms. Thompson did have what she euphemistically called a “conversation” over the phone with me about the Clubhouse, and I did receive one very condescending e-mail from one David Binet of national NAMI, it is simply not proper for only one party to a dispute to render the matters “closed!  As the old saying goes, “It takes two to tango,” two parties to a dispute to decide if the matters are closed.  Obviously, on my part, they were not.  However, I will give Indiana NAMI’s Board credit for doing one thing properly: it sent me a check by mail for the $40 improperly confiscated from me, which was the only thing the Board did appropriately.

 

I mentioned above that while I was barred from participating as a fully dues-paid member of NAMI (which I was, and still am, until the end of November 2023), my NAMI membership was not rescinded—I was simply suspended in midair, held in a state of limbo, by the Board of Directors.  I was soon made aware of this when I received unsolicited e-mails from Indiana NAMI asking me if I’d like to volunteer for certain NAMI activities (from which “forthcoming” NAMI activities I was indefinitely barred), would like to vote for NAMI officeholders, and would even like to attend the Indiana NAMI State Convention!  Yes, Indiana NAMI directly asked me if I’d like to participate in “forthcoming” NAMI activities I was barred from attending—and no, you can’t make this shit up!  I noted this discrepancy once again in an e-mail to Ms. Thompson (which I was at least technically barred from sending), but once again, as per usual, I received no response.  This, the personal slighting of me by Indianapolis NAMI’s former Executive Director, the degradingly condescending e-mail mentioned above by national NAMI’s David Binet, and the deliberate and ongoing slights and insults from Ms. Thompson and the Indiana NAMI Board of Directors has made me seriously rethink my NAMI membership; so, most likely, in fact, 99% assuredly, I will not be renewing my NAMI membership when it expires the last day of November 2023.

 

On my “Politically Incorrect Leftist” BlogSpot blog, I specifically criticized both the Circle Clubhouse, and implicitly the Clubhouse system, in blogs on April 18 and May 12, 2023, and specifically criticized all levels of NAMI, Indianapolis, Indiana, and national, in a blog also on May 12.  I stand by these criticisms 100%, and according to the letter I received from Indiana NAMI’s Board of Directors, these blogs caused consternation within NAMI.  Well, tough beanies!  Free speech is free speech, and if I’m wrong, let the Clubhouse system and NAMI prove me wrong!  As for me, I proudly refer all interested readers to my blogs, where the articles I’m referencing are very easy to find. 

 

            

No comments:

Post a Comment