Tuesday, November 7, 2023

Mental Health Writings: A Poetic Take on What Is Also "Spirituality"

This poem of mine, my angry screed on the booze-soaked unctuous hypocrite Catholic priest who was my high school principal in the small-town Catholic school where I became the first National Merit Finalist in the school's history, was written originally some time ago, yet, in view of my blog post on "spirituality," takes on a new timeliness.  This priest/principal, who previously to my achieving the National Merit honor, had talked to me only three times prior, and all those times only to reprimand me.  But now, since I was National Merit, he couldn't have enough to do with me!  His unctuous fawning made me feel unclean.  A teacher I had then said this priest was a very shy man who used alcohol to overcome his shyness.  So, my "spiritual" victimization was probably also an alcohol-induced victimization!--GF 


IN UNSENTIMENTAL REMEMBRANCE

(A True Story of a True Priest)

by

George Fish

 

Padre Pop-Tart Jesus!

Holy Priest!

I’m sure you don’t remember me,

you ignored my existence when I was a junior.

You spoke to me just three times then.

each time only to reprimand me.

I’m sure you’ve also forgotten how

I was the first National Merit Finalist

in St. Mary’s history,

and how you oozed on me for that.

Always wanting little chats about my glorious future,

your unctuous fawning on me

making it clear

that it wasn’t my future that mattered.

What really mattered

was your chance to bask in my reflected glory.

 

Padre Fish-on-Friday Anchovy!

Holy Priest!

How I hate you for your oily slime.

You made my National Merit honor

turn into ashes in my mouth.

You showed me how much contempt you really had for me

when you unctuously fawned all over me.

For you saw not the person I was,

you saw not the troubled brainy youth

trying to survive in a world that hated him.

No, you saw only the National Merit honor.

An honor you wanted to aggrandize for yourself.

I was just a pawn in your venal chess game.

You make me want to vomit!

 

Padre Divine Quintessence Pizza!

Holy Priest!

Is there plenty of booze for you now

in that nether world wherever you are?

Is there a stand-up bar in Hades?

Do you still use booze

to cover up

your shyness,

your inauthenticity,

your unctuous insincerity?

Are you still as phony as you were

when you were my high school principal?

Always being sure to be oh-so-so

much on the right side,

the respectable side,

the winning side.

You weren’t one to back losers.

Nosiree!

And I was a loser when I was a junior,

a transfer student with so-so grades,

coming from a school where gangs ruled

and I had to play dumb so I wouldn’t be beaten up.

You were much, much more concerned

with outward appearances and surface gloss.

So you didn’t see me at all

when I was a junior.

But that sure changed when I became a senior!

I’d gotten a new paint job—

one that had “National Merit” written all over it.

Ooh, you loved that!

At last!  Your big chance

to steal some light from my radiant glory.

How much had you been drinking

when you oozed all over me?

More—or less—than when you reprimanded me?

So busy hiding your drinking,

so dishonest,

so unwilling to face up to your problem

and what you really were.

No, you couldn’t do that.

That was too authentic.

So you went on burying your shyness behind booze,

unctuousness and lick-ass fawning.

Not caring at all whom you hurt,

and whose achievement you turned into

cheap and tawdry tinsel.

Not caring at all.

 

Padre Blessed Virgin Spirit-rape!

Holy Priest!

You’ve been dead many, many years.

But you know what?

I still hate you for what you did to me.

Yes, Padre Spirit-rapist,

you still make me want to vomit!

No comments:

Post a Comment