Tuesday, November 14, 2023

Still More Poems on "Spirituality": Three Early Irreverent Poems of Mine

 All written in the first decade of the 21st Century, when I started writing in earnest anti-religious poetry, starting Christmas Eve 2004.  I present these as still relevant, irreverent in appropriate ways that really do tackle and bring down religion, and just as timely and as well-done as my later irreligious poetry--GF.


I AM GODZILLA.

I AM GREATER THAN GOD!

by

George Fish

 

I am Godzilla.

I am greater than God!

For one thing,

I have a last name.

Further, I destroy cities,

I don’t just sit on a cloud

for all eternity

and fart.

Moreover, I am greater

than Jesus Christ.

I destroy churches,

I don’t allow them

to do evil

in my name.

So, who am I?

I am Godzilla!

Godzilla!

Godzilla!

Godzilla!

Godzilla,

greater than God.

 


A PRIEST-PEDOPHILE’S SOLILOQUY

by

George Fish

 

After finishing off a bottle

of the sacristy’s

Communion wine,

the Catholic priest opened up

and said exactly

what was on his mind.

“You know,” said he,

“I reflect so strongly,

so positively,

on the words of our

Lord and Savior

Jesus Christ

when he said,

‘Suffer the little children

to come unto me.’

I enjoy being as Jesus

and having the little children

come unto me.

And yes, they do come,

and while they may sometimes

feel they’re made to suffer—”

He became agitated

as he interjected,

“But remember,

they brought

it on themselves,

they asked for it.

They seduced me—”

He calmed down,

smiled, and continued,

“What’s far more important is,

I will come!



MARY IMMACULATE

by

George Fish

 

Mary Immaculate!

Mother of the

Son of God!

Lifelong virgin,

never touched by man.

Schtupped by the Holy Ghost

instead.

Mary Immaculate indeed!

 

But tell me,

Mary Immaculate,

bearer of the Divine Child,

but also woman of the flesh,

precious for it,

vulnerable and easily

taken advantage of

for it,

how did it feel

to be told by

the angel Gabriel

that God had chosen you

to bear his Son

sans the joy of

carnal copulation?

Did you mutter to yourself,

perhaps disgustedly,

“Fuck!  Here I am,

a mere fourteen,

and a virgin too,

and now I’m made pregnant?

God, why the hell

Are you making me

go through this shit?”

Yes indeed,

bearing extraordinarily

the Divine Child!

The Divine Child

come supposedly

to heal

the hurts of

the human flesh,

but

too goody two-shoes

to be born of that flesh

itself

like everybody else.

 

But poet Etheridge Knight

exulted that he was

Born of a Woman,

and even published

a book of poems

honoring it

by having his little book

bear that title.

Bobby Seale

openly,

defiantly

affirmed it

when he wrote,

“Everybody got here

through good old

downhome screwing.”[1]

Yes, yes, indeed!

 

What’s so horribly wrong

with that,

O stern, puritanical

God the Father?

What’s so wrong with that,

O Jesus Goody Two-shoes?

Is

Mary Immaculate

there

to atone for

the supposed sin of Eve,

who did nothing more

than anyone really human

would do,

exercise the mind’s natural curiosity

and thirst for knowledge,

even if,

in naïve innocence,

it should inadvertently

transgress

Big Daddy God,

aristocratic overseer

straight out of a

Tennessee Williams play?

Is that such a crime?

A Hitler, a Stalin, a God,

or a Big Daddy

would think so,

but not a fully human being

exulting in our race’s humanity

and thirst for knowledge

and freedom.

 

And so I celebrate you

for your agony,

Mary Immaculate,

you yourself

Born of a Woman,

you yourself

conceived through the flesh.

Immaculate yourself

in your oh-so-human

agony and sorrow,

watching even your

Divine Son,

Jesus Goody Two-shoes himself,

die cruelly through the flesh

as nothing but

an ordinary criminal.

 

Mary Immaculate!

Schtupped by the Holy Ghost

or not,

deflowered or not

By Arrogant Divine Manipulation,

or just the end-result of

the natural in Man,

I honor and celebrate you!

As I celebrate all

who are Born of a Woman,

all of us

who come to our lives

and our best selves

not through the

Divine ersatz,

but through

becoming fully

human

ourselves.

 

All of us,

naturally,

affirmatively,

Born of a Woman,

and not the mating product

of “virginal”

sexual intercourse

with a mere bird!

 

 

 



[1] Bobby Seale, Seize the Time, Vintage Books, 1970, p. 248.  Seale was a leader of the Black Panther Party.s


No comments:

Post a Comment